Wise words from a wise colleague
1) Identify the people you don't want to spend time with and force yourself to spend time with them.
2) You never really know what someone else is thinking. You may think you know, but you're wrong at least 70% of the time. To assume that someone is that different from you is often wrong.
3) Try and make everyone's life better for having interacted with you. Try and make everyone a better person for having known you. You may not always succeed, but you won't know until you try. And you never know who you may have an impact on, even with the smallest of acts.
4) There comes a point in your professional career where you've reached the limit of how far you can go. What matters in the rest of your life, and how you will be thought of and remembered, is how you treat the people around you.
5) Don't shy away from doing the above because it is hard. Don't use the excuse that you don't care.
6) You have to be fearless and do these things with a leap of faith. To hide behind the "I don't want to get hurt" is cowardly. After reaching this point in life, the things that you are "protecting," are not actually that valuable and in the long run don't matter.